Remote in US
A renewable energy revolution is beginning to blossom into the world’s largest industrial transformation since the personal computer. The aging and the vulnerable electrical grid is rapidly being supplemented and replaced by rooftop solar and rechargeable batteries. That evolution is about to explode as drivers flock to EVs and fuel those cars with electricity from home, leaving gas stations a relic of the past and spiking demand for sustainable, reliable, and affordable electricity. We are in the driver’s seat to lead this energy revolution as America’s leading residential solar and renewable energy provider and is leading the change through modernizing and re-imagining the future of home electrification. We are looking for skilled individuals to help us drive this transformation with an entrepreneurial and customer-first spirit helping cement our company as the leader of the revolution.
As a Senior/Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for helping deliver value to business around the functions of products and pricing. Much progress has been made on the pricing side in terms of replacing aging infrastructure, and you’ll drive the transition to a more scalable and maintainable system. Your vision and contribution will help scale company infrastructure to a Fortune 500 company.
Ethos we admire are build it once, and build it well. Solve for maintenance, as that’s where 80% of the overall cost of a project is.
- This position will be on one of several teams that build our company software.
- You will be responsible for:
- Embodying companies corporate values of human centricity, integrity, curiosity, passion, courage and impact.
- Promoting high quality communication and collaboration on our cross functional team.
- Building a deep and nuanced understanding of the residential solar domain and how our company business model is differentiated in the industry.
- Designing and writing software optimized for readability, maintainability and testability.
- Provide estimates, and take ownership of estimates.
- Communicate as early as possible when deadlines are at risk.
- Be pragmatic. Generally do the right work, but sometimes we may need to do the right now work. Provide the tradeoffs to stakeholders.
- Applying a systems thinking mindset to your work.
- Maintaining operational stability of software systems from development through to production.
Technical Skills Needed
Candidates are expected to be able to apply the following skills on day 1, and thus should have strong applicable experience:
- Break down a complex problem into smaller chunks and execute
- Experience developing complex, distributed, software systems in Java or Kotlin
- Experience with docker, serverless and/or containerized cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with API architecture and development.
- Designing and implementing transactional data models (relational or document store)
- Applying the practices of continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Git, maintaining deployment pipelines that work with infrastructure as code tools, in particular Github Actions and CDK.
- Build performant, testable, scalable code with appropriate observability.
- Driving the development process with test automation at appropriate levels (unit, outside in, integration).
- Applying high quality security practices.
?Bonus Technical Skills
Candidates will not need to apply these skills on day 1, but they may need to learn them over time. Practical knowledge and experience in the following areas is a bonus:
- Experience building native lambdas with GraalVM
- Rules Engine like Kogito or Drools
- Experience with API Tooling such as Swagger / OpenAPI
- Experience in sunsetting / migrating large legacy applications to modern stacks
Horizontal facilitates valuable and productive conversations between you and potential employers. We can assist you in growing your career by partnering you with employers that offer challenging assignments. For those that join the team, we offer competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental, vision, and retirement. Check out all we have to offer and how you can become part of the Horizontal Talent Team. In compliance in compliance with state laws and regulations related to job posting requirements, the salary range for this role is $15.00 -$115.00 per hour (hourly rates in other locations could differ). This is not a guarantee of compensation, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location.