We are seeking an Infrastructure Compute Server / IT architect to be responsible for defining, designing, and delivering compute network and storage services as a platform for executing mission-critical applications. This includes, operating systems, server hardware, and configuration of a private cloud environment using VMware as well as integrating and understanding the platform’s network and storage design. The overall project consists of several complex compute environments that form the backbone for the operation deployment of a critical, strategic national asset. The responsibilities of this position include representing compute and virtualization solutions across the project, communicating with management any risks or problems involving performance, availability and security. In addition, this architect will plan for future improvements and fixes while ensuring changes follow the project’s change management process. This position may require some on call support and overtime.
• Must possess an active US DoD Secret or higher clearance and US Citizenship
• Experience in Designing private cloud architectures, especially in the area of compute servers
• Proficiency in matching system requirements (specific user or VM requirements) to compute capabilities (RAM, single-threaded speed, total throughput) and the knowledge and ability to select specific types of compute servers to meet those requirements.
• Ability to prepare and present status, plans, and risks to management
• Experience with the architecture and design of COTS Infrastructure
• Proficient working knowledge of networks, storage, and virtualization (e.g., VMWare)
• Experience in documenting system design and configuration - Hands-on experience troubleshooting Linux/Windows
• Experience with: firmware/drivers/troubleshooting/prototyping for non-Virtualized systems/issues
• Background in Systems Operations environment supporting complex environment deployment and management activities
• Hands-on experience with virtualization tools and cloud computing, either private (VMware, OpenStack) or public (AWS) Systems integration experience
• Ability to troubleshoot complex configuration problems or system issues
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both written and oral
Experience with developing proposal for US government projects, working with RFPs, ECPs, and Technical volumes
Experience with architecting infrastructure (HW, O/S, and COTS SW) changes into an existing design, with the ability to integrate those changes into a complex set of requirements and dependencies
• Experience with automation tools such as Chef (preferred), Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, Fabric or similar products for O/S builds, software installation and configuration
• Experience with orchestration tools – Rundeck, VMware Orchestrator
• Understanding of Infrastructure as Code and demonstrated implementation
• Understanding of DevOps concepts
• Understanding of Change Management processes - Version Control of software and code - GIT, CVS
• The ability to effectively plan their own work up and the work of others on the team
Bachelor Degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Engineering and 8 years of related work experience.